History of The Friends of the Englewood Charlotte Library
In the early 1960s Josephine Cortes headed a grass roots effort to start a library in Charlotte County’s Englewood area. On May 25, 1962 the library opened in the back of Bay Palms Beauty Salon at 1000 McCall Road. Harriet Ives was the first person to run the library.
In 1963 the library moved to 1560 McCall Road and Leolyn Mercer was appointed librarian. The collection consisted of 3,869 volumes.
In 1964 The Friends of The Englewood Charlotte Library were incorporated by the state of Florida.
Seven years later the library moved to a new facility at 1520 Placida Road, and in 1971 the first full time librarian, Elizabeth Childs, was hired.
The library moved again in 1989 when the 8,000 square foot facility at 3450 McCall Road opened to the public.
In 1996 the library went online with an automated circulation system.
Throughout these years and continuing up to the present the Friends have augmented the library’s collection of materials and provided what would not be available with only funding provided by the state. Book sales have always been a popular fund raiser and the book store located in the current library provides a year-round ability to make gently used books and other materials available to the community. Programs for children and adults, sponsored by the Friends, bring people together and add to the vibrancy of the community. Each year two local students are assisted in their studies with scholarships funded by the Friends.